6.17.2011

Blast From the Past Friday

Posted by Scotty Fields on 1:06 PM

Welcome to the first edition of Blast From the Past Friday. For this segment, I will be talking about a game that I consider a classic example of a great game from the past.
Today I will be talking about Warcraft 2 released by Blizzard Entertainment in December of 1995.


This game was revolutionary in it's time and marks the first time the general public was made aware of the company Blizzard. The game's sales were at about 2 million copies and it won many "Game of the Year" awards from almost all PC gaming magazines.

So, is the game fun to play today? My answer is "Yes. Absolutely."

The game mechanics are a bit primitive compared to modern Blizzard games that I have come to know and love. For example, you can only select a small number of units at a time (8 I believe?). Also, no rally points can be placed for buildings.  But the graphics still work for today. The game is still challenging and extremely fun and, as some would argue, the game is the most balanced game that Blizzard has put out, from race to race.


Installing this game today is a pain in the @ss. Especially if you have the original DOS version of the game. It took quite a bit of research before I came up with a way to get this thing up and running.


Once I did, I immediately logged on to battle.net and guess what? Many, many people were still on and many games were open to join. I think that speaks volumes about how fun and challenging this game is to people even today.

I hopped into a game, got my butt kicked, cried in the corner sucking my thumb for a bit and came back for more. I'll get you next time )v(arsAtacks87.

The game is difficult to get installed and running on a Windows 7 box but it can be done and for me, it was well worth the effort. I plan on getting several hours of fun out of this old classic.

I will include a couple more images for those of you who like to watch.



That concludes the first Blast From the Past Friday. What game should I cover next week? Should I dust off a copy of Diablo 2 or should I play something more console-centric? Feedback and suggestions are encouraged (comment, blast you!). :-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Search Site